How to Direct Your Mailing List Subscribers to Your Landing Page
We all know Mailchimp is great for email marketing and even more awesome when you’re just starting out. However, simple as the interface is, it can be challenging to actually figure out how to do something, especially if it’s redirecting mailing list subscribers to your landing page after they sign up and also being able to give them a sign-up freebie through a download link.
I have received requests for help with this and instead of sending emails to each person, I decided to write a post detailing how you can direct subscribers to your own landing page on your website and how you can give subscribers freebie downloads on Mailchimp!
It’s a good idea to direct new subscribers to your landing page because you get to give them a personalised “thank you” and also make sure they stay on your website for longer.
Also, as good as Mailchimp is, its customisation for the “thank you” message is really limited and if you’re like me and are rather peculiar about consistent branding, you might want to have your own custom “thank you” page for subscribers to view.
I guess I should shut up and get to the instructions already, right? So here we go:
How to direct mailing list subscribers to a custom landing page in Mailchimp
1. When you log onto Mailchimp, click on 'lists' on the Mailchimp navigation strip and then click on the list that you want to give away a freebie to.
2. Click on 'signup forms' then click on 'general forms' in the menu.
3. Under 'create forms' (forms and response emails) click on the drop down navigation menu.
4. Select 'confirmation "thank you" page' in the drop down menu.
5. You will see a 'instead of sending this thank you page, send subscribers to another URL' and here you just type in the URL of the landing page you created. This will take subscribers directly to your landing page.
How to give freebie downloads to mailing list subscribers in Mailchimp
1. To give freebies to confirmed subscribers, select 'final "welcome" email' and hover on the textbox below (the one with the red dashed box line around it) and a small 'edit' button will appear on the top right corner of it. Click on it.
2. Type whatever you want your subscribers to see and highlight a call to action (e.g. "click here") and select the link button in the editing navigation panel.
3. A pop-out box will pop up and in the "link to" drop down menu, select 'file' then upload your freebie by selecting the 'upload' button.
4. After uploading select the uploaded freebie and it will link it to your welcome email.
5. And you're done!
I hope these directions were clear and you were able to link to your landing page and upload a freebie. Perhaps I should write more Mailchimp How Tos as I go along? I’m still a rookie when it comes to Mailchimp but when I figure things out, I don’t mind sharing them. What do you think? Yay or nay?
P.S Let me know right below in the comments whether this helped you or if there is anything else you want to know.
To see mine in action as an example (and to get two freebies as well!), just sign up below! I promise you will love these freebies. I designed them myself. ;)